Thursday, August 12, 2010

Flipping Out


Yes, the best fisherperson on Cadotte Lake is at it again. Nice, fat leeches are helpful, of course.


After having studied the fishing report online (oh yes, I now 'study' fishing reports), I learned that the best fishing is 9 AM and 8:30 PM, so last night at 8:00 I'm out there ready to go.


Toodle out to 'my' spot - pretty much between me and my neighbor Don Niles - the really little cabin by the water - throw out both anchors so I don't twist around, check the water depth, put a pretty leech on the line and out she goes. Now I fill up my bucket with water, expecting to take somebody home and just sit down for a moment when I realize I can no longer see my bobber. Sure enough, a nice little keeper. A few more throws to areas where I'm not happy, replacement and - bingo - there's the next one. However, when I put this baby in the bucket, the first one gets very annoyed and flips itself out and starts flopping around on the pontoon deck.


OK, I take the one in the bucket off the hook and start chasing the other one who is truly "flipping out". I get him back in, they both calm down, I rebait and settle down again. After awhile, sure enough, here comes another one. Put him in the bucket and that same guy who flipped out before, flips out again - back on the deck. I give him some Prozac and put him back in with his two friends.


Now I'm figuring that it's going to be difficult to get another guy in there, but - too late - he's on the hook and I'm pulling him in. Get him right up to the boat but the line breaks and he, my hook, and the leech is gone.


So I bring the whole kit and kaboodle into the kitchen which is fine until I turn on the light, then they decide that with enough effort they can probably get themselves out of there. So the kitchen and me turn into a watery mess. I dump them into the sink, wrap them in newspaper, and into the fridge they go.


Now it's the next morning and I've just finished filleting them so they're ready for dinner Friday night - Don and Sarah are coming up to go fishing - with the best fisherperson on Cadotte Lake.

No comments: